Visa For Temporary Skill Shortage (Subclass 482):
An employer can sponsor a foreign national from overseas to work in their business in Australia using the Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482). This work visa was introduced on March 19, 2019. Temporary Work visa subclass 457 was superseded by this subclass. An employer in Australia seeking to hire a candidate will opt for a tss visa if the candidate’s skills match the requirements for the position.
There Are Three Options For Visas:
- Stream for short-term
- Stream for medium-term
- Stream of the Labour Agreement
You can pick the Stream that applies to you using the merged Skilled Occupations List. If your occupation qualifies you for the short-term Stream, you can apply for a visa for a period of up to 2 years. If your profession comes under the medium-term Stream, you may be granted a TSS visa for a maximum of four years.
- An employee with this visa may travel to Australia and work in the occupation they choose under the sponsorship (employer) for four years.
- Applicants for a Subclass 482 visa should have a standard business sponsor. Before applying, they must also submit a nomination to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) on behalf of the sponsoring applicant.
- Once the nomination has been accepted, the employee will submit the visa application within six months. The employer who already knows the employee (standard business sponsor) can file for the nomination.
- If an employer is not an eligible sponsor, they should first apply to become one before submitting nominations. They may also make simultaneous applications for sponsorships and nominations.
- Employers must fulfil many obligations to become business sponsors and nominate employees. Employers must meet requirements set by the department of immigration for an eligible sponsor. These are based on business tenure, critical positions, training benchmarks, confirmation that Australian citizens or permanent residents are not available to fill those positions, and salary offered to the nominating employee.
What Are The Eligibility Requirements for the TSS Visa (Subclass 482)?
The candidate applying for a tss visa should meet the following requirements:
- There is an occupation on the merged Skilled Occupations list that you are qualified for
- An Australian employer has nominated you for a job position, and they want you to join their team
- You possess the qualifications and skills for your occupation
- You should have worked in your field for at least two years
- You are proficient in the English language for vocational purposes
- It is possible to meet DHA’s health and character requirements
- A substantive or bridging visa A, B, or C is necessary to enter Australia and comply with your visa conditions.
Various Visa Streams Available Under The 482 Subclass Visa:
- Short-Term Stream– This may take two to four years, and the occupation should be STSOL.
- Medium-Term Stream– This may take up to four years. You should have employment in MLTSSL or ROL.
- Stream for the Labour Agreement– This Stream is according to the Labour Agreement.
The points mentioned above is a brief guide on tss visa. Employers can hire skilled workers through the visa program when skilled workers cannot be found in Australia. This facilitates temporary skill shortages by hiring foreign workers while ensuring that Australian workers receive priority. The visa holders can engage in their nominated occupation in Australia and may have a pathway to permanent residency.